Contacts and further information
The Society does not carry out research for individuals.
However our books are a useful source of information and we are very
happy to give advice on other sources of information. Some starting
points are given below:
- Bristol Central Library (Reference Library)...................Tel 0117 9037202
- College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TL, England
Microfiche of indexes to births deaths and marriages, from 1837. Having
obtained the reference number to the event you are interested in, the
certificate can then be ordered from the General Register Office (see
- Some parish records and a variety of local history books, Ordnance Survey maps etc.
- Past copies of local newspapers
it became the separate parishes of Downend, Mangotsfield and Staple
Hill, the whole area was the parish of Mangotsfield. Records for all
parishes may be found in either of the two records offices given below.
- Bristol Record Office..................................................Tel 0117 9224224
large repository of parish records, deeds and wills as well as
historical trade directories. Mangotsfield parish originally included
Upper Soundwell, Staple Hill, Downend, Moorend, Bury Hill and
Mangotsfield village with the parish church of St James at its centre.
Christ Church, Downend, built in 1831 as a chapel of ease to St James,
became the parish church for the new Downend parish created in 1874.
Soundwell was part of this parish until it became a parish in its own
right in 1904 with the building of St Stephens. All three parishes are
part of the Diocese of Bristol and their Diocesan records ( parish
registers, wills, probate inventories, Tithe Map, etc) are deposited in
the Bristol Record Office.
- Try the following web sites www.bristol-city.gov.uk/recordoffice and www.archives.bristol-city.gov.uk (obtained through Altavista)
- Gloucestershire Record Office.......................................Tel 01452 425295
- This contains the civil records of the above three parishes.
- Full michrofiche of the indexes of all births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1996
- A searchable database of all wills proved at Gloucester 1541 - 1858. This is also on-line atwww.glosc.gov.uk/pubserv/gcc/archives/index.htm
- General Register Office (Certificate Services Branch)....Tel 0870 2437788
of births, deaths and marriages can be ordered by telephone using a
credit card for payment. First a relevant reference number must be
obtained from one of the sources above.
- For further information look at the website -www.statistics.gov.uk
- Family Records Centre ......1 Myddelton Street, London,EC1R 1UW
- For details of the vast amount of information here, we would advise that you first visit their extensive website:www.pro.gov.uk/
- Details of searching, guides to genealology as well as opening times are all available for downloading.
- Society of Genealogy
anybody just starting to search their family history, this society has
a large number of explanatory leaflets, such as 'Starting Genealogy' No
9, 'Family Records and their Layout' No 3, 'The relevance of surnames
in genealogy' No 7 etc. These can be read and downloaded from their
- The website is www.sog.org.uk
- Our publications